Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"Hello Abu Dhabi" Editorial for Matte Mag

This shoot was a lot of fun. I got to do 2 of my favorite things: dewy skin and color. Of course, I would have liked to have used more colors but that isn't up to me, it's up to the stylist, who on this shoot was Mr. Christian Ramirez.

I came in fully stocked with lots of eyeshadows and pigments but in the end I only used MAC's Orange. Now, I know I said above that I got to use "color" but remember that on shoots, I have no control over the makeup. Yes, I apply it but I don't choose the looks or colors and most of the time stylists want simple makeup because they don't want it to take away from the clothes so the fact that I used an Orange eyeshadow and a purple liner was pretty sweet.

It was because of this shoot that I made 2 pretty amazing discoveries The girls' skin had to look glowy but I have the problem that although the foundations in my kit are pretty damn great, they tend to dry out quickly and I don't have enough time to blend them out on skin. The first thing that I discovered is that when I mixed the foundation with my beloved Argan Bronzing Oil it went on the skin like butter! It blended effortlessly and the end result was glowy, dewy, beautiful skin! The second thing was that when I asked Christian if he wanted the cheeks to look really contoured or slightly flushed he said "contoured". What he did next I'll never forget, he chose MAC's Blue Green Pigment was the blush/contour. I put it on thinking "Ok, he's insane. This is going to work. Wait.... this is working. Wow!" The end result was a gorgeous kind of orange/brick-red color that worked perfectly as a contour and blush.

(Here they have the Blue Green Pigment as contour already. Also to give their arms and chest a glow I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

Mannette (the model on the right) asked me what I had used on her skin because, having dry skin normally, she loved how smooth it felt with the makeup on. I told her it was the Argan Oil and she fell in love. In fact 2 days after this shoot I went to Sephora and I actually ran into her and her boyfriend. All 3 of us left with a bottle of Argan Oil. Actually her boyfriend not only uses the original one, but also the one with SPF.

So without further ado, here are the pictures from the editorial

Photography: Jaime G. Rivera
Styling: Christian Ramirez
Makeup: Carolina Rufat
Hair: Yansy Vega
Models: Xiomara Velez & Mannette Maldonado








(That dressed weighted about 30 pounds, it was all metal.)



I wish the contour didn't look as rough as it does on the pictures. As you saw on the first picture, the contour was very light but I guess with the harsh lighting and Photoshop it looks a little rough. It's okay though, I still love these pictures.

I hope you liked this. I know I did.

Thanks for reading,


- Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment